Friday, July 31, 2009

Stinger 40 Watt - 1 Acre

Stinger 40 Watt - 1 Acre

Price: $36.99
Manufacturer: Honeywell
Buy from amazon.com

High-impact polycarbonate plastic housing with UV blacklight that attracts phototropic insects and lures them into killing grids. Once inside the killing grid, power from high voltage transformer quickly and efficiently eliminates flying insect. Unit should be placed 25' to 50' away from house or areas of human activity and at least 6' to 8' off the ground. Required maintenance is annually replacing the UV black light and periodically cleaning the killing grids. CUL and CSA listed. Plugs into 120V outlet.

Information

  • Amazon Sales Rank: #8629 in Consumer Electronics
  • Brand: Honeywell
  • Model: UV40
  • Dimensions: 6.00 pounds
  • Lures thousands of insects and zaps them dead.
  • Electronic insect control without pesticides, tanks or bags.
  • Proven effective against a wide range of insects.
  • Attracting range up to 1 acre environmentally friendly.
  • Easy to use.

Product Reviews

Stinger Does kill mosquitos...!, if...-
I HAD a "BAD" problem with mosquitos (West-Nile fever...!)! I web searched for a bug killer... that would work!
Top choices, for me-
1. Propane powered models/traps...- High-maintenance, bulky, heavy, expensive (about $300+... for "top-rated" models!), 5 gallon propane tank lasts only about 30 days ($OUCH!), fire danger..., then you end up with a messy net full of mosquitos (still alive?)!
Too much of a HASSLE...! NOT for me!

2. Electric bug zappers- I read SERVERAL web reviews saying that these types of low-maintenance "electric" bug zappers would not attract mosquitos (My old Flowtron did not!)?
a. I reviewed the Stinger UV40. THIS WORKS!!! (I recommend getting at least the 40w (1 acre)! Only $7 more than the puny looking 15w. The 80w "looked" AWESOME?!-
It comes with a mosquito bait lure- "Octenol (a USDA tested mosquito lure) cartridge included".
They recommend replacing it every 30 days (I replace mine "when" it stops drawing mosquitos. $5 @ Wal-M).
The Stinger unit has a place DIRECTLY UNDER the light, to place the Octenol lure- The fumes rise up and draw the mosquitos in to the electric zapper grid. Was this just "sales hype"?
#1$Wal-M & Lowes have liberal return policies. I decided to "give it a try"?
Every morning there WERE "hundreds" of dead mosquitos on the patio, under the Stinger!!!
Some environmentalists claim bug zappers "may" also kill helpful insects?-
All I've ever found, are LOTS of dead mosquitos & moths!

Some helpful tips-
1. Do not mount near doors... (draws "swarms" of insects!). Hang it 7ft high (head room).

2. As a test to see when it stopped zapping (temperature)?- I left mine on all night, and checked it frequently (I'm a night person), to see when it stopped zapping? We "usually" have cool evenings- it stopped zapping at about 1am. Does nothing "before" dark!
I put mine on a timer (I will adjust settings, as temperatures... change)!!!

3. For easy cleaning (only once in awhile)- Instructions say- you can blow it off with the exhaust side, of a vacuum cleaner?
I blow mine out with an inexpensive air compressor (if you don't have one, you should! Lots of uses!).
I would "not" recommend turning a water hose on it (electronic parts/shock hazard...!)!

4. They recommend that after a year- Even though UV bulb still glows, it loses its effectiveness, and stops drawing many insects. I will "then" "easily" replace the UV bulb ($12 @ Wal-M).
ENJOY!

A serious bug killer.
I put a couple of these zappers between my house and some treed wetlands. They kill so many Mosquitoes and other insects that I have to clean the Stingers out every week or two. Fortunately, an electric yard blower cleans them out pretty easily. I don't even have to unplug them. One precaution: don't use this near a picnic bench or your pets water or feed bowl. Exploding insects can't be very healthy to consume for man or beast. I would have rated this item five stars except that the replacement bulbs cost about $20 each and need to be replaced in pairs every 4 to 6 months.

Minor adjustments
Awesome bug zapper, but, a small adjustment made it that way. I opened the cage and cut off 1 row of the metal grid to make it a bit tighter to kill smaller insects like gnats and flying ants. I do have to clean it more often but at least the bugs are dead. I either turn it off and spray it with the water hose or the air compressor, whatever is closer. It's been working for well over a year now out in the Florida weather.


No comments:

Post a Comment